Tribune Stations Advise Charter Spectrum Viewers About New Year’s Eve Carriage Deadline

“The NFL playoffs begin Jan. 5 and we want football fans in our markets to be able to watch these
After closing the deal, Nexstar will become the No. Tribune Media, many of whose stations are in major markets like New York, LA and Chicago, is set to be acquired by Nextar in a pending deal valued at $4.1 billion. 1 owner of local TV stations in the U.S., surpassing Sinclair Broadcast Group, whose deal to acquire Tribune fell apart last summer.
While 2018 is pacing below 2017 in terms of total blackouts, it has yielded several high-profile impasses, including a bruising one between Starz and Altice last winter and two current standoffs between Dish Network and Univision and HBO.” /> Word of the Tribune-Spectrum carriage negotiations came just a day after Disney and Verizon FiOS publicly squared off.
Adding to the annual holiday-season angst around pay-TV carriage deals, Tribune Broadcasting stations are advising some 6 million subscribers to Charter's Spectrum cable service of a possible blackout.
Its national cable network, WGN America, would also be affected for 14 million customers. cable operator, with about 16 million residential customers. 2 U.S. Tribune said 33 stations in 24 markets could go dark across Spectrum systems if a deal cannot be reached by midnight on New Year's Eve. Charter is the No.
Charter offered a brief statement to Deadline: "We continue to negotiate with Tribune and hope to reach a fair agreement.”
“We’ve offered Spectrum fair market rates for our top-rated local news, live sports and high-quality entertainment programming, and similarly fair rates for our cable network, WGN America. games and root for their favorite teams—we want to reach an agreement with Spectrum,” said Tribune Media spokesman Gary Weitman in a press release. Spectrum has refused our offer.”

Kurt The Cyberguy Wins Big Bucks In Long Legal Battle With KTLA; Tribune To Appeal

After just three hours of deliberation, a collection of Kurt Kuntsson’s peers in Los Angeles Superior Court yesterday awarded the TV tech personality just over $3.9 million dollars in his battle with the local station that was his home for decades and its Chicago-based owners.
"I was overwhelmed because I was finally vindicated," the now Fox & Friends contributor  added over seven years after KTLA suddenly pink slipped him after 16 years talking tech on-air for them and a syndication of around 24 stations across the nation. "I could not stop crying," Kuntsson said today at the offices of his lawyers Gloria Allred, Nathan Goldberg and John West of Thursday's decision in Judge Gregory Alarcon's courtroom.
The defendants lost that round in August 2014 after a a three-judge panel ruled KTLA and Tribune had “forfeited” their right to make the original Cyberguy settle the matter behind closed doors. Knutsson first filed his complaint in LASC in February 2013 but, he had to take it to California’s Court of Appeal to stop from being forced into arbitration by KTLA and Tribune.
Nearly six years in an eon in the digital world but after first filing a breach of contract and age discrimination suit against KTLA and owner Tribune Media back in early 2013, the man once widely known in SoCal and around America as Kurt the Cyberguy got a multi-million dollar 2.0 reset from a jury.
"We respectfully disagree with the verdict and intend to appeal," Tribune spokesperson Gary Weitman told Deadline today.
KTLA and Tribune aren't exactly powering down over the December verdict though.
KTLA took everything I had built away from me overnight." "I felt that the jury understood all that I had endured. I had spent fourteen years building a national brand as 'Kurt the CyberGuy'.
That potentially messy appeal will come as Tribune is absorbed by Nexstar in a $4.1B acquisition confirmed earlier this week.
KTLA and Tribune were represented by attorneys from the LA offices of Barnes & Thornburg.” />
While some residual Kurt the Cyberguy reports trickled out over the following weeks, almost immediately all online links to his material on Tribune stations went to segment starring another consumer technology reporter the much younger Rich DeMuro. Those new segments were filmed, formatted and branded in the same fashion as the initial Cyberguy material had been.
That decision lead directly to the open court case and this week's new loss by KTLA and Tribune.
However, following a shafting of his contract in late 2010, Kuntsson was terminated by KTLA in a phone call from news director Jason Bell in February 2011 The move to can Kuntsson and stealthily replace him came very soon after he and KTLA had landed a hefty sponsorship deal with AT&T for the Cyberguy segments over seven years ago. Under that deal and the ad revenue clause in the five-year contract that Kuntsson inked with the Tribune owned station in 2008, the Cyberguy was to get a chunky piece of that action.