Showtime On Ruth Wilson’s ‘The Affair’ Exit: “Everyone Agreed The Character’s Story Had Run Its Course”

Series creator Sarah Treem said previously that it was Wilson’s choice to leave the show ahead of its fifth and final season.
When asked this morning by CTM co-host Gayle King about her departure, Wilson asserted awkwardly, “I did want to leave, but I’m not allowed to talk about why.”
“The impact of her loss will be felt as the series concludes next season. "Ultimately, it felt like the most powerful creative decision would be to end Alison’s arc at the moment when she had finally achieved self-empowerment,” Showtime said. We thank the many fans who embraced the character of Alison and especially thank Ruth for her indelible work over the past four seasons.” “We can’t speak for Ruth, but heading into season four everyone agreed the character’s story had run its course," Showtime said in a statement provided to Deadline.
You can watch the entire interview below.” /> Wilson appeared on CBS This Morning to talk about her new movie The Little Stranger. Her comments on The Affair come about three and a-half minutes in.
In a shocking twist, in the August 5 episode, Wilson’s character was found dead, leading to speculation as to whether it was suicide or murder. It was after that episode that Treem said it was Wilson’s decision to exit.
Wilson, a project she wanted to pursue. Wilson is set to star in and executive produce the three-part drama, a co-production of Masterpiece and BBC, a true story inspired by the memoir of her grandmother. A source close to the situation said Wilson had requested to leave the show before production had begun on Season 4 because of Mrs.
Wilson’s response to King came after King alluded to an interview Wilson did in February with Radio Times, in which Wilson revealed that she was paid less than her co-star Dominic West on the show. In response to King’s question, Wilson asserted that she “never complained to Showtime about pay parity.”
Ruth Wilson's comments on her exit from The Affair in an interview Thursday on CBS This Morning raised questions and now Showtime has weighed in, saying it was a creative decision.

BBC Unveils First Look At Drama Slate Featuring John Malkovich’s ‘The ABC Murders’ & HBO Co-Pro ‘Gentleman Jack’

Piers Wenger, Controller of BBC Drama, says, “When I took on the role as Controller of BBC Drama, I pledged to create drama that was unexpected, drama for everyone, and drama which experimented with the innovative and bold. I am proud that over the past year we have taken bigger risks than ever before, and developed a diverse slate of dramas which I believe stand-out in a crowded landscape. I can’t wait for you to see the finished shows which begin airing on BBC One, Two and Three this autumn.”
The British public broadcaster launched the trailer on BBC One following its coverage of the World Cup final and has also put it online above. The BBC has unveiled the first clip of its forthcoming slate of dramas – many of which will air on Netflix, Amazon, HBO, PBS and AMC in the U.S.
 ” />
It features shows including John Malkovich-fronted Agatha Christie adaptation The ABC Murders, which will air on Amazon, PBS co-pro Les Misérables, which stars Dominic West and David Oyelowo, AMC’s Alexander Skarsgård-fronted co-pro The Little Drummer Girl from the team behind The Night Manager, Netflix pair Wanderlust, starring Toni Collette, and Michaela Coel’s Black Earth Rising and Sally Wainwright’s Suranne Jones-fronted period drama Gentleman Jack for HBO.
Elsewhere, it has given a glimpse of PBS co-pros including Ruth Wilson’s Mrs Wilson and Mike Bartlett’s Press, Richard Madden and Keeley Hawes’ Bodyguard, Mammoth Screen’s remake of The War of the Worlds, David Heyman’s The Long Song and Jenna Coleman’s The Cry.